- Additional Information
“Good order is the foundation of all good things.” ~Edmund Burke
In this 6 week course, you will learn practical, user-friendly strategies to build skills and organize your academic life. This course will both introduce and then provide opportunities to apply strategies that will help manage both online and paper-based class materials, as well as generally organize academic deadlines and tasks. You will be provided with hands-on support to help develop and apply a system that you can use.
Class topics include managing the student side of Google Classroom, Gmail and Google Drive; organizing binders; tips for time management and using an agenda or calendar; study strategies; and self-advocacy/self-monitoring. This course is ideal for students who struggle with organization, executive functioning, or those who simply want to improve their organization and efficiency.
Finding a system that works: Intake survey on organization & learning style
– Create tasks list & set goals
– HW: Set up Gmail/bring in X2/Aspen log in info (if applicable)
Organizing your online life:
– Create folders for Gmail, Google Drive
– Using Google Calendar
– Navigating X2/Aspen (if applicable)
HW: bring binders & class materials
Organizing all that paper:
– What you have & what you need
– Binders, handouts, notebooks
– Introduction to color coding/table of contents
Strategies for getting ahead:
– Google Calendar for planning
– Using an agenda
– Time management, prioritizing and list-making, goal-setting, scheduling, chunking
Strategies for staying ahead:
– Study strategies – daily for understanding & focused for assessment preparation
Self-advocacy & self-monitoring:
– Writing a professional email, X2/Aspen checks, self-reflection
Two different sessions are offered, with instruction tailored to middle- and high- school students.
New fall dates coming soon!
*Students should bring their own laptops. This class requires a minimum of 2 students to run.
High, Thursdays (3:00 – 4:00 pm): 9/29, 10/6, 10/13, 10/20, 11/3, 11/10, Middle, Tuesdays (3:00 – 4:00 pm): 9/27, 10/4, 10/11, 10/18, 11/1, 11/8